As with all clubhouses, participants are known as “members” as opposed to patients or clients. Members are unique individuals who possess valuable talents, strengths and abilities which when combined, assist in making the Clubhouse come alive. The sense of membership, support and belonging are the very heart of the Clubhouse way of working.
The Clubhouse is organized to support members living with a mental illness. The mission of the Clubhouse is to provide a safe place for members who have had their lives disrupted by a mental illness. It is a place to allow individuals to gain and give encouragement, to be empowered to connect with community and to gain back their lives lost to mental illness. Through participation, members are given the opportunity to join the worlds of employment, education, meaningful work and friendships. Clubhouses help break isolation and provides persons with mental illness and opportunity to create and share in a safe environment while receiving the necessary support to succeed.
Wabash Valley Friendship Clubhouse
Find out more below.
- The right to a safe space
- The right to meaningful relationships
- The right to meaningful work
- The right to a welcoming environment
- Must be 18 years of age
- Diagnosis of a mental illness
- Member chooses their level of participation, no schedule, rules or contracts
- All members will have access to every Clubhouse opportunity with no differentiation based on diagnosis or level of functioning
- Respect the safety, property and rights of others
- Only smoke in designated smoking areas
- Not be under the influence of, nor consume, alcoholic and/or illegal drugs while at the Clubhouse
- Working in the kitchen preparing the daily lunch, cleaning, meal planning, shopping and stocking the pantry and snack shop
- Employment training and work opportunities
- Working the registration desk, answering phones, following up with members that have been absent, writing articles for the Clubhouse newsletter, community outreach, volunteering in the community, fundraising, hosting events